Emerging COVID-19 data indicates a significant role of thrombosis in morbidity/mortality of patients with ARDS, with evidence of clotting system activation; expert advice on the value and safety of anticoagulation favours LMWH/NOAC therapy
Staying ahead of the curveCOVID-19 and Thrombosis
As the coronavirus pandemic progresses, the critically important role of blood clotting has been recognised in publications from clinicians and scientists worldwide.
- Explains how the response to the infection can trigger a cytokine storm affecting coagulation in seriously ill patients
- Emphasises the serious implications of these changes on the prognosis of COVID-19 patients
- Reviews the need for thromboprophylaxis in patients during and after their hospital stay
Dr Tony Dalby
Life Fourways Hospital
Johannesburg, South Africa
STAY AHEAD OF THE CURVE
This report was made possible by an unrestricted educational grant from Bayer. The content of the report is independent of the sponsor.
0 of 10 questions completed
You have already completed the module before. Hence you can not start it again.
Module is loading…
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
Time has elapsed
Thank you, we will review your submission and notify you of your results via email.
If not received within 5 hours due to spam, don’t worry, it will show in your profile.
1. What percentage of COVID-19 patients on average go on to develop pneumonia?
2. In COVID-19 infection, a cytokine storm may develop leading to:
3. In non-survivors of COVID-19 infection, what were indicative changes of poor outcome?
4. Which of the following factors were not associated with higher risk?
5. In critically ill ICU patients in the Netherlands (Klok Study), what was the incidence of thrombotic complications?
6. In the Netherlands study, what percentage of thrombotic complications were due to pulmonary embolism?
7. In what percentage of severely ill patients with COVID-19 did venous embolism occur?
8. Disseminated intravascular coagulation were observed in what percentage of patients who died from COVID-19?
9. What do most expert advise as treatment for VTE in COVID-19 patients?
10. In recovered COVID-19 patients, who were severely ill, anticoagulation should be instituted for 30-40 days post discharge. Experts favour the use of: