Principles of HIV prevention and the role of PrEP
Antiretroviral-based pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) provides robust protection against HIV in all populations and routes of infection
You will learn:
• The principles underpinning effective pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) to protect against HIV infection
• The importance of having PrEP options that are suitable for different populations and needs
• Currently available oral PrEP options, PrEP options that should soon be available, and PrEP concepts that are currently in development
• The importance of tailored, client-centred treatment and prevention packages that integrate PrEP with contraception and sexually transmitted infection (STI) services
• Factors that influence persistence or discontinuation of the use of PrEP.